Saturday, August 2, 2008

PRIMA error!!

I have been struggling to avoid the Internet for the holiday, but as a junkie, my body shivers if I don't have access for more than 24 hours ;P. I have been trying to occupy myself with my family whom I see only once a year for the past 4 years. I have been playing a lot with my sister's baby, Rania (6 months old), who is also the coolest baby I have met so far. When she cries there is only 3 possibilities: 1. She's hungry, 2. She pooped or pee-ed (not sure how that is correctly in English spelling), 3. She's tired. Any other time, as you can see on the picture, she's very happy and active :)

Anyway, I was home after a haircut and a visit to my grandma's, I went online and checked my email inbox. I was delighted to see an email from my ex-supervisor/Scrum master/mentor, Eric D. Schabell, from my last internship. The content of the email, however, was not that delightful as he was informing that there was an error occurred in the application that my colleague and I were developing, PRIMA. The application was developed for my graduation project at SNS Bank, for approximately 5 months (Feb-Jul '08). Development tools involved Adobe Flex 3 and ColdFusion, and the end product was a huge flat screen monitor displaying project information over the ongoing projects within the Java Domain department where we did our internship at. As you can see on the picture, the application is showing project information such as: Test Quality, Daily Builds, Hours Realization, Code Quality, Issues, and Weekly Score, of one of the ongoing projects; 'Webagenda'. This application also involves XML files that filter the large amount of information gathered from multiple data sources. The complaint was that the administrator, who saw that PRIMA was not working as usual, found out that one of the XML files was suddenly empty. This has caused the system to complain it was not able to find the correct XML file. Before the internship ended, I was busy developing the configuration panel, which enables users to add/remove projects. During testing, I had found out that the 'delete project' function was not working properly as it was always trying to overwrite the content of one XML file to the other after a change. I discovered that it was only due to a mix up of path and file names, and it was fixed before we left. But an empty XML file was highly unexpected! The cause of the problem is yet to be discovered, but the XML file was replaced with a backup so the application is now running normally. I had advised them if the problem occurs when trying to add/remove projects, then try to manually access the XML file and do the changes there. That way there is less chance of XML contents getting mixed up.

It is really difficult to assess exactly what the problem is since I do not have a direct access to the infrastructure, plus the fact that I am in Jakarta, Indonesia and the office is located in 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, makes it even more difficult to communicate.
I do not know if its just me, but it worries me to know when the application I created encounters an error! grr! just makes me wanna jump in there and fix it!

No comments:

AddThis

Share |